Sunday, November 1, 2009

Spinach Ricotta Manicotti

This is one of my absolute favorite dinners. A go-to recipe. An easy recipe. A recipe that I know my kids will eat, my husband will eat, and no one will complain. I found it on a box of noodles a long time ago while browsing at the store, and bought the noodles simply to try the recipe. It is SO good. It's actually intended to make in jumbo shells, which I did here, but I often use manicotti noodles, so in our house we call it Spinach Ricotta Manicotti.


16 jumbo shells or 12 manicotti noodles, prepared as directed on package
1 lb frozen chopped spinach (or you could use fresh)
1 Tbsp chopped onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 beaten egg
2/3 c Ricotta cheese
1/2 c grated parmesan
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 recipe of tomato sauce (if not making homemade sauce, I think Prego is the next best thing!)
Thaw the spinach in a pan with a little water. When thawed, drain well, squeezing to remove the excess water. Cook onion in olive oil in a skilled until tender. Add spinach and heat through.
In a bowl, combine cheeses, egg, and nutemg. Stir in the spinach and onion mixture. Pour 1/3 of your sauce in a 9x13 baking dish. Stuff the cooked shells or manicotti with the filling and lay out in the sauce. Cover with the rest of the sauce, being sure to cover the exposed noodles so they don't get hard while baking.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment