Monday, February 15, 2010

Chunky Chili (naturally gluten-free)

I love the meals I can make exactly the same way as I used to and still be able to eat them now. I call them naturally gluten-free, since they naturally come that way without me making any substitutions or changes. This is one of them! A simple, wholesome chunky chili.
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (this is one of the few meals that I like to buy a regular old ground beef instead of the extra lean stuff...it gives it a little more flavor)
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 can chili beans
1 can diced tomatoes
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chilis
4 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp paprika

Cut up the veggies. Chop the peppers and cut the onion in half. Chop half of it and dice the other half up small.
Cook the ground beef and the diced small onion in a pot over med-med high heat. Drain.
Stir in beans and tomatoes with their liquids.
Add remaining ingredients.
Salt is really important when cooking. It allows the natural flavors of the foods to release and blend together. It enhances the essences of the foods you are cooking it with. Therefore, I think it's really important to pay a little more and get a good salt (this doesn't matter so much when baking, but it does for cooking). Pictured is a pretty decent basic French sea salt I picked up at Williams Sonoma.

Heat all ingredients to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You can serve this over macaroni noodles and have chili mac, but I think it's so good just topped with some cheese and onions (yes, more onions...) and a little dollop of Daisy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment