Monday, February 15, 2010

Gluten-Free Chicken and Wine Sauce

One of my (and my family's) favorite dinners is a chicken and white wine sauce over rice. The cream of chicken soup I used in it, however, was not gluten-free. I was given a recipe for a g-f condensed cream of chicken soup mix recipe, though, so I was anxious to try it out. Turns out, it tasted great in my favorite dinner! Not quite the same, but good in its own right. So first here's the recipe for the mix:

2 c nonfat dry milk
3/4 c cornstarch
2 Tbsp dry minced onion (I used onion powder)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c chicken bouillion
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
Combine all the ingredients in an air tight container. To use, combine 1/3 c of the mix with 1 1/4 c water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened.
To make the dinner:

Combine mix and water in pan and cook until thickened. Add 1/4 c sour cream and mix. Remove from heat. Add pepper to taste. Stir in 1/4 c white wine (I've found pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc taste best, but I've used riesling too.).
In a skillet, melt 4-5 Tbsp butter or margarine. Cook chicken 2-4 minutes on each side. Pour sauce over chicken, cover, and simmer for 20-24 minutes.
Serve over rice. Also tastes great with green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment