Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dear John Letter


Dear John (AKA Diet Mt. Dew),
We have had a beautiful relationship. I loved you with all of my heart. In fact, I still do. Or at least as much of my heart as is reserved for caffeinated, sugar-free diet soda drinks. However, the relationship has run its course and it is time for us to part. I’m not saying we will never see each other again, but it can’t be on a regular basis. You can’t live in my house anymore.

You have helped me in so many ways. You’ve given me a burst of energy when the day drags on. You’ve quenched my thirst like no other. You’ve made me smile. But it hasn’t been all good times. You’ve damaged my teeth with your biting acidity. You’ve worsened my already bad reflux disease. You’ve caused my energy to crash when you’re not around when I need you. Not to mention the amount of money I’ve thrown away on you; you’ve never been a cheap date!

And so, today, I bid you adieu and I wish you well. Be kind to the next woman you’re with. Perhaps I will see you at Quiznos, and perhaps we will be destined for a one-night stand in the future.
Goodbye,
Linda


And with that, I say goodbye to my constant companion, Diet Mt. Dew. I spent my last $1.49 on a 20 ounce today, and nursed it slowly to savor the taste one last time. I can't say I will give up caffeine, because I have no intention of quitting my two cups of Senseo coffee every morning upon waking, but I am shaking it up tonight, making my first choice to create goodness for myself by making myself healthier. No more soda! Oh, it pains me to say that, but it really is for the best. I'll let you know how it goes!


I'm also going to buy a scale soon. I don't care so much about the number as I do about how I feel, how my clothes fit, and if I'm healthy, but I'm curious. I'm also curious as to how my lack of diet soda (I was drinking probably equal to 2-6 cans a day) will affect my weight.


This blog is about many things, and making myself healthier (and hopefully inspiring someone else to do the same) is just one of them...will you join me on my quest to be healthy, happy, and have fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment