Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"Martian"-mallows

Yesterday, I took a little trip to the Sweet Factory. Mmmm. I picked up some goodies to make some alien popcorn balls ("Martian"-mallows). This morning, we made them. So cute!
I'll share the popcorn ball recipe at the end, with the changes I made so it is not SO sticky. The faster it dries and sets, the easier it is to decorate.
Let's take a closer look. Marshmallow eyes (with pupils drawn on with a food marker), green apple licorice antennae, and gummy grapefruit slices for feet!
The kids, however, couldn't wait for decorating, so they ate all their pieces separately :)
Popcorn balls:
3/4 c light corn syrup
1/4 c margarine
2 tsp cold water (if you are using the typical food coloring liquid, replace water with food coloring. If using gel, still use water also)
2 5/8 c powdered sugar
1/2 c marshmallows
Heat all ingredients in a large pot over medium heat. Once melted and blended, stir in approx. 2 bags of plain, popped popcorn.
Decorate! You can use extra sticky goo scraped off the pan to glue on decorations.

1 comment:

  1. HOW FUN! I love the new blog. I'll be borrowing some of your recipies - especially the aliens. Sooo cute! I'm also diggin' the tortilla pb&J. :)

    ReplyDelete