Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mini Pies and a New Twist on an Old Favorite

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1/2 flat of raspberries at a local farmer's market, and when I got home I realized that the ones on the bottom didn't look quite as good as the ones on the top, and I needed to use them quickly! So, I took my recipe for a strawberry glace pie and made it with raspberries instead. It was SO good!
So today we're going to a friend's house for dinner, and I thought I'd make a raspberry pie again, but this time mini pies. It was super easy to make, and they turned out really cute! I always make homemade pie dough too, but the frozen phyllo cups

looked so perfect for this I couldn't pass them up.
The "glace" for the pie is just smooshed raspberries, sugar, cornstarch, and water heated in a saucepan until it boils and thickens. That then has to cool while you put the pies together. A phyllo cup, a little cream cheese on the bottom, a raspberry, and then the cooled "glace" and whipped cream on top! So simple and cute!

My next project today comes from my friend Mandy over at Gourmet Mom On-The-Go. I am not a fan of sushi and neither are my kids, but we are fans of peanut butter and jelly, and these were too cute to pass up! Cut the crusts off bread, and then roll the slices out flat with a rolling pin...the flatter they are the better they seem to work. Spread peanut butter and jelly on about 3/4 of the bread then roll it up. As you roll, the pb&j squishes out on the part of the bread that was left empty. Then, cut the rolls (I got four sushi rolls to a slice of bread).


And, voila! PB&J Sushi! Thanks Mandy!


No comments:

Post a Comment